FIRST, DECIDE TO DRIVE:
Follow your Wreck-less Checklist
- Consciously make a decision each and every time you get behind the wheel to make all other activities, passengers and priorities secondary to driving.
- Before you start your car:
- Put on any accessories you may need, such as sunglasses or BluetoothTM ear pieces;
- Adjust seats, head rests, vehicle controls and mirrors;
- Fasten your seat belt;
- Move all reading material away from easy reach;
- Pre-load CDs or mp3 playlists and adjust volume level so your music does not mask the sounds of emergency sirens; and
- Enter an address in the navigation system before you depart or review maps and written directions before you drive.
- The AAOS, OTA and the Auto Alliance encourage all drivers to simply stop your vehicle — in a safe area — any time there is a distraction that needs your attention, such as retrieving items, having an involved discussion, reading, smoking, or disciplining a child.
- Do not eat or drink while driving.
- Keep your eyes on the road.
- Driving is not the time to apply makeup, groom, polish your nails, or change clothing.